Steamed prawns with egg white RecipePrint This
- 5 tiger prawns, de veined and de shelled leaving head and end of tail intact, butterfly the prawns
- 4 eggs white, do not beat nor whisk. (keep yolks for other use)
- 5 thin slices ginger , julienned.
- 1 tbspn minced garlic
- 1 tbspn xiao hsing wine
- Half tbspn of finely chopped spring onion
- Half tspn salt, to sprinkle on top dish
- Half tspn light soy sauce
- 2 light dashes of white pepper
- 1 tspn sesame oil , to drizzle on top dish
Pour egg white on deep wide plate, arrange prawns in centre, put ginger, spring onion and garlic on top of prawns.
Sprinkle salt , light soy sauce and white pepper evenly on surface, drizzle sesame oil onto prawns. Slowly drip in xiao hsing wine using spoon, make sure to scatter drips over dish.
Heat steamer over high heat. Place dish into steamer and let steam over high heat for the first 3 minutes.
Immediately turn heat to low, let steam for another 4 minutes. Do the chopstick test or gently shake the plate. If the egg is wobbling, it’s ready to serve.
*Do not over cook this dish. Timing is very important to have a nicely cook prawns and smooth egg white.