Spicy mustard vegetables (酸辣大芥菜) RecipePrint This
- 2 kg Mustard Vegetables (Malaysia’ produce for crispier texture)
- 6 Peeled Garlic Cloves
- 60g Dried chillies
- 2 Sliced Tomatoes
- 25g Assam Keluk also known Tamarind Slice
- Water 1 litre (during cooking, the vegetebles will sweat and increase liquid in this dish)
- 100g of Roasted Pork / Roasted Duck
- 5 Slices Streaky Bacon (Precook with oven or grill with dashes of black pepper)
- 1 can of 230g Sardines
- Half teaspoon salt
- 6 small cubes Rock Sugars
Heat small amount of oil in wok or a deep big pot over high heat, stir fry garlic cloves and dried chillies together till fragrant, add in roasted meat and precook bacon. Continue to stirfry for another 3minutes.
Pour in water, bring to boil
Place in tomatoes, assam, mustard vegetables and let boil for over high heat for 10 minutes. Cover wok or pot and turn heat to low and simmer for 2 hours. Occasionally check and stir to make sure the liquid doesn’t dries out, add water if necessary.
After simmering for 2 hours, add salt, rock sugar and sardines then cover wok or pot. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat with cover still on, let sweat for another 30minutes.
Serve with fragrant rice