Sliced pork soup (Bah gao soup) RecipePrint This
- 120g Lean pork thinly sliced / thicker like what i did, if you prefer meaty mouthfeel
- Few stalks of baby xiaobai ( you may use cabbage as replacement)
Marinade pork for 15 minutes, with :
- 1/8 sesame oil
- 1 tbspn oyster sauce
- Half tspn salt
- 2 dashes white ground pepper
- 1 tbspn cornstarch ( this soup main highlight is the pork coated thickly with starch, so ought to place 2 tbspn cornstarch, but i prefer mine less)
- Half cup of silver fish (baby anchovies)
- 1/2 chicken cube
- 600 ml water
- Crispy fried shallots
Bring water to boil in a deep pot over high heat.
Add in silver fish, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes at least. Drain, discard silver fish and keep stock inside deep pot.
Maintaining the stock simmering over low heat, slowly place in marinated pork slices ( heat must be low else cornstarch would fall apart from pork if let boil vigorously)
Cover pot and let simmer for 3 minutes. Add in baby xiao bai, turn off heat, and cover for 5 minutes prior to serving. Dress with fried shallots
*if the cut of meat is thicker, you’ll need longer time to simmer, give it a good 5 minutes.