Braised Pork Belly with soft tofu and mushroom RecipePrint This
- Pork Belly 250g whole strip, slice after done braising
- Button mushroom 1/2 can
- 1 Soft Japanese Tofu/ Taokwa (tough beancurd)
- Oyster sauce 2 tablespoon
- half tablespoon of Chinese 5 spice, pinch of salt and white pepper
- Light soy 2 tablespoon
- Dark Soy 1/8 teaspoon
- sesame oil
- garlic whole, skinned and bruised
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 3 cloves
- half tablespoon of salted soy bean
- 1 small potato, skinned and thinly sliced ( act as starch for braising stock)
- 3 small cubes of rock sugar
- water 750 ml or enough to cover pork belly
Marinade pork belly for 10mins with half tablepoon of chinese five spice, dash of white pepper and pinch of salt.
Heat deep wide pot with sesame oil using medium heat.
Put in cinnamon, star anise and cloves. Heat them till fragrant. Might take longest 1 minute.
Add in porkbelly, salted bean, potato and garlic. Brown all sides of porkbelly ,do not burn it. This process enable flavors deeply rooted into meat at same time locking its juice inside meat.
Once meat is browned, pour in water. Add in light soy sauce, oyster sauce, rock sugar and dark soy into the mixture and let boil.
Braise for 1.5 hours. Check occasionally and add water if needed. 10 minutes before serving, add in button mushroom and soft tofu. If you are using taokwa, add in at least 30 minutes before.
Slice porkbelly into bite size and Dress with spring onion. Serve hot.
*braising stock will reduce and thicken as it cooks, in the end of braising, if the stocks is saltish, may dilute with hot water before serving