Braised abalone and chicken RecipePrint This
• A handful of spring onion, white and green parts
• 1 XXL (huge) chicken drumstick
• 1 can baby abalone, keep its liquid to add into broth
• 1 pack of fresh shiitake mushrooms (abt 13 ), cleaned and stalks removed.
• 2 packs of Fortune brand braised abalone
• 2 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon xiao hsing wine
• Half tbspn cornstarch + 1.5 tbspn water (optional to use at the end of cooking to thicken broth)
• FOR BROTH: This volume of broth could steep 2 huge drumsticks
• 500 ml water
• All liquid from the canned abalone
• 200 ml chicken stock
• 2 tablespoon oyster sauce
• 2 dashes white ground pepper
• Half tablespoon sweetened dark soy sauce (optional), i didn’t include it into this dish
• 1 tspn mushroom essence (optional)
Heat sesame oil in deep pot over medium heat,brown white parts of spring onions
Toss in shiitake mushrooms, give it a stir then let sear for 1 minute.
Pour in xiaohsing wine, mix well and let continue sear for another minute
Add in water, abalone liquid, chicken stock, oyster sauce and ground pepper into pot of cooked mushrooms, bring to boil
Place in drumstick (make sure to use the right size of pot with broth enough to have whole drumstick immersed inside) and green parts of spring onion, cover pot turn heat to low, let simmer for 10 minutes.
With cover still on, turn off heat, and let it steep for 1 hour.
After steeping for an hour, turn on heat, bring to boil, quickly add in the fortune brand packs of braised abalone together with its sauce, along with those canned baby abalones.
Cover pot and immediately turn off heat, let steep for another 3 minutes. Do not steep too long, avoid the texture of abalones from becoming tough.
Serve hot with rice.